It is very important to install uninterruptible power supply UPS for MRI machine.
A Modalities suite is typically a suite where CT scanners and MRI machines are located with their control rooms. For CT, MRI scanners and Lab equipment, you cannot afford to take chances with their power. This can result in a large amount of savings for the BioMed department over the life of the UPS system.
What is MRI?
MRI stands for the Magnetic Resonance Imaging, it is a non-invasive imaging technology that produces three dimensional detailed anatomical images. It is based on sophisticated technology, that excites and detects the change in the direction of the rotational axis of protons found in the water that makes up living tissues.
How MRI Works
MRIs employ powerful magnets forces protons in the body to align with that field.
When a radiofrequency current is then pulsed through the patient, the protons are stimulated, and spin out of equilibrium, straining against the pull of the magnetic field.
When the radiofrequency field is turned off, the MRI sensors detect the energy released, as the protons realign with the magnetic field.
The time it takes for the protons to realign with the magnetic field, as well as the amount of energy released, changes depending on the environment and the chemical nature of the molecules.
To obtain an MRI image, a patient is placed inside a large magnet, and must remain very still during the imaging process in order not to blur the image.
UPS for MRI Machine protected against poor electrical power
It’s a must to install all MRI machines with Online UPS, with inbuilt isolator transformer. These are UPS with robust industrial designs, which makes UPS substantially strong to work under severely stressed conditions to handle high inrush current of the CT and MRI scanners without affecting the power quality or without derating it. Any compromise on power quality leads to inaccurate reports generation, machine malfunctioning and premature failure making them useless beyond fixing. These are High-Tech machines and are too sensitive to the supplied power to perform accurately and effectively.
Must ensure that your UPS is providing adequate protection to the MRI machine, operator and the patient, while also providing sufficient protection to the UPS.
How to protect an MRI Machine?
The UPS should provide complete protection from all expected faults during regular use.
- Under Voltage and Over Voltage Protection. There should be gadgets to monitor the incoming voltage and the voltage fed to the machine.
- Neutral Drift & Neutral Failure. In electronics equipment and communication software neutral is critical for proper functioning. In case neutral fails or there is some drift in the neutral it will for sure damage the machine instantly. Therefore, it must ensure that an isolator transformer is provided in the system to protect the MRI machine from neutral drift or failure.
- Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) & Harmonics Protection. The EMIs and the harmonics are to isolate from the incoming power supply, as they may cause the immediate premature component or machine failure itself without delay. The harmonics & EMI have to isolate by providing a competent isolator transformer. It should provide galvanic protection to the MRI machine, which preventing it from failure and erratic output.
- High Voltage transients & Electrostatic discharge. The high voltage transients and Electrostatic discharge protection system must be as per the rules and regulations of IEC 62040-2.
- Output Short Circuit with pulse by pulse current limit protection. The UPS should protect the machine against any short circuit or drawn surge power. It also can guard against false tripping or complete shutdown of the machine. The pulse by pulse current limit protection should be as per the latest guidelines and standards while protecting MRI machine from output short circuit.
Whenever You’re Ready
If you don’t choose a UPS for your MRI machine, we won’t say that you’re headed for certain disaster. But your equipment is more open to a source of potential downtime and electrical damage. Why skip the cost of protecting your equipment only to leave it vulnerable to even more costly damage and downtime? If you intereste in starting a purchasing, Prostar Team is happy to talk with you about what you need. Contact us here or give us a call to find out more.
3 Phase Low Frequency for MRI machine
The Articles You may Like
- Prostar industrial grade ups 60kva protected laser cutting in Argentina
- 3 phase industrial ups 300kva protected paper towel in Nigeria
- The difference between industrial grade ups and commercial ups
- The Difference between Offline UPS and Online UPS
- Use power inverter with built in battery charger